Sunday, April 13, 2008

Brickyard Cove 8 mile

Notes to self:

Drink enough water before a hard run on a hot day... Drink enough water before a hard run on a hot day... Drink enough water before a hard run on a hot day...

This was a tough race. I wasn't adequately hydrated and had a tough time after the first 5 miles or so. I probably didn't drink quite enough water the last few days before the race and we were late getting out of the house this morning so I also neglected to bring water to drink on the drive there...

Then of course, it was warmer on the course than one would expect at 9:00 AM in the Bay Area in April...

This was a beautiful course of rolling hills - in Martinez, along the Carquinez Straits. The course includes a number of moderate hills that are deceptively challenging if running at a quick pace. I ran the exact course last weekend on my long training run. It was much cooler last weekend and we hit the course at a fast pace (for a training run). Last weekend I finished the 8 mile course in 68:48 which works out to an average pace of 8:36 minute miles - pretty quick for a training run.

My plan was to start out at just under 8:30 pace and then see if I could sustain that and possible even have some reserves for a faster pace for the last mile or two... I ran smart, not going out too fast, but just kinda melted. I came across the 4-mile mark at 33:14 (8:18 pace), right where I wanted to be… but it was hot out there, and I wasn't adequately hydrated and I melt in the heat...

My mile splits tell the story: 8:22, 8:04, 8:26, 8:20, 8:55, 9:01, 9:37, and 8:31. I finished in 69:19, actually slower than I ran the exact same course in a training run the week before... did I mention I melt in the heat?

So I completed this event at an average pace of 8:39 minute miles – not bad for an off day…

Now I have 5 days of easy runs and rest and then a Half-Marathon next Saturday morning. The upcoming event should be interesting: 13.1 miles and a hilly trail course. Did I mention my longest run this year has been 10 miles? My goal is to run a very easy ~9:00 pace on the flat and downhill portions and just take my time running up hills. I just want to run the entire event and finish – no time goal at all… just survive! Should be interesting! Stay tuned…

No comments: