Monday, June 16, 2008

Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster X-C Race


Sunday I completed the 43rd annual Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster cross-country Race. This was a tough 9-mile trail run in Joaquin Miller and Redwood Regional parks in the East Bay hills. This was the third and final race of the East Bay Triple Crown Trail Championship events. The Woodminster race is an interesting event in that it is handicapped by age and gender. The start is in waves, with Older runners getting a head start. There were 6 waves of runners at 4 minute intervals.

This was another tough course. After only 1/2 mile we hit the first hill which climbs ~550' in less than a mile. This is particularly challenging, since in that first 1/2 mile we're not really warmed up or settled into a pace yet. Additionally, the hill is almost single track, so you either have to run the first 1/2 mile too fast for good position or try to pass other runners on a narrow, steep trail with inconsistent footing. I opted for a compromise and ran the first 1/2 mile slightly fast to not get behind too many slower runners on the hill and to hopefully keep touch with a few faster runners.


After the top of the first hill, the course trends downhill, with only minor hills to climb, for the next 3 miles. By the halfway point we have dropped over 700' to the lowest point in the course. I generally held my own thru the first half of the race, some faster runners from later waves passed me and I passed runners from earlier starts. At the 4.5 mark we start the big climb of the event, affectionately refered to as the "Woodmonster". The toughest section climbs ~650' in ~3/4 of a mile. The hills in this course are tough because they aren't a steady incline that you can settle into a slow pace on. They are full of rocks and roots and steps which force you to constantly change your stride. We ran this course last weekend, and in that training run I ran the entire way up the "Woodmonster". During the race, however, I decided not to try to run the steeper sections and to focus on just getting up the hill as efficiently as possible.


After the "Woodmonster", the course is mostly flat or downhill. I had saved enough to be able to run these last 3 miles at a pretty good clip and passed ~10 competitors in this section. Most of the last 1/2 mile is a trecherous downhill. I could hear another runner right behind me running this section, so a barreled down this hill at a reckless pace. I was able to keep him behind me and finished solidly mid-pack - 93rd of 178 runners (some of which benefitted from their headstart). Without the handicapping my time was good for 82nd place - again solidly mid-pace. My actual running time was 1:23:50, which is almost 15 minutes faster than my time from last year.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Joe,
Good job on your 15 minute PR! I'm only a little sorry I didn't do that race. My right Achilles gave me some concern after sampling the "Woodmonster" the previous weekend! Seems to be OK now though. Did a flat 18-miler at Marathon pace on Saturday. I'm less worried about the "Wall" now that I've been in it's neighborhood. Not long till the S.F. Marathon now. See you on the practice runs!

Jim (E. Bunny)

Unknown said...

Hi Joe,

I can't seem to find a course map for this race. Can u kindly post a link to it. Been searching all morning ...

Thanks!!

Joe Abeyta said...

Now that the event is complete, it looks like the sponsering running club took the map of the race off of their website. I'll map out the run and post a link later...

Unknown said...

ThankyouThankyouThankyou! May I ask 1 more favor: that you make the elevation profile a tad bigger so I can see the numbers? Can't wait for the air to clear so I can try it :)

Unknown said...

Angel,
If it helps at all, each horizontal band in the elevation chart is 100 feet. That hill in the middle is rightly named "The WoodMonster".