Wednesday, August 27, 2008

San Francsico Marathon pre-race report

The last few days before the SF Marathon, I definitely didn't feel ready to run 26.2 miles. I didn't feel particularly strong, or fast or rested. I also still had little nagging aches and pains from training. I've read it's common to feel like your fitness is slipping away during the taper period. I didn't let this bother me and focused on my plan for race day. I wasn't particularly worried about the event, since I knew I trained well for it. I slept well at night until the final night before the event. My supervisor at work agreed to let me come in an hour later the week of the event which added an extra hour of rest for the 5 previous workdays. Thanks again Quintana! The night before the event, I only slept a few hours. Nervous energy kept me up late, and then I wide awake again at 3:00. I had set my alarm for 3:30, so I went ahead and got up. I had coffee and a light breakfast. I also continued to consume fluids to assure I was completely hydrated for the start.



We arrived at the starting area shortly after 5:00. Tina was a trooper and woke up at the crack of dawn to delivery me to the starting line. Thank you Tina! I immediately queued up in the very long lines for the portapoties. 20 minutes later it was my turn. Unfortunately, getting up at the crack of dawn, threw off my bodies timing, so no go. I next stood in line to drop off my sweats. 10 minutes before the start of my wave, I was ready to race... except that now the coffee had worked it's magic and I had to go now. I reluctantly got back in the 20-minute line for the portapoties. As a result I missed my wave's start (the SF Marathon starts in waves). I had planned to run with one of my training partners, Jim "The Energizer Bunny". That plan was scraped as I heard my wave start. Once I had the opportunity to take care of business, I trotted over to the starting line. I just made the tail end of the next wave start. And so then begins my 1st Marathon!

No comments: